THIS COURSE WILL NOT BE RUNNING THIS TERM!
Time : 3:30-5:30pm
Dates: February 8, 15, 22 | March 1, 15, 22, 29 | April 5 (Fridays)
Location: 3501 Peel Street, Montreal (Main Floor)
Course Description:This class is a studio-based course that allows students to develop their practical skills in drawing. Students will be given instruction in drawing techniques as well as methods of observation. These lessons will guide them through each step of the process from
learning contour and gesture drawing, negative and positive space, blind contour,
shading and textures. This course is ideally suited to students who are new to this
practice as well as the student with experience, looking to refresh and renew their basic
About the Instructor: Geneviève Sideleau lives and works in Montreal, where she earned her MFA from Concordia University. She has exhibited in Montreal, Ottawa, Northwest Territories, Boston, South Korea, and Serbia with an interdisciplinary practice involving painting, drawing, object-based work and installation. She has an interest in current affairs, human rights and women’s issues as well
as a concern for the suffering of our needy; homeless, abused, neglected, aging, and mentally
ill. Sideleau is an art instructor working in several art centers in Montreal and also volunteers
her time to give creative classes to the elderly in the West Island. You can find her work in
private and public collections across Canada, United States and abroad as well as at Seven
Below Gallery in Ottawa.
Required Materials: Check out Omer De Serres or Michael’s!
- Sketchbook (acid free paper, larger is better, no smaller than 8” X 10”)
- 1 pen (any kind of pen, blue, black or brown)…I’m sure you have a pen!
- HB graphite pencil set (H and B series or a few from each series ex.: 9H, 6H, 3H, HB, 2B, 5B, 9B)
- 1 Artgum eraser and 1 kneaded eraser
- 1 pad of newsprint paper (I cannot remember their sizes but around 22” X 28” or 24” X 30”)
- 2 contés in pencil or stick form (sanguine, sepia, gray, any neutral tones except for black)
- 1 plastic tablecloth (dollar store) (try to get one without crazy colors…a neutral color is less distracting)
- Comfortable clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty!
- This course is suitable for beginners.